View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 03:36 AM   #3
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeTePoK View Post
Just wondering which is the best tool to create your own pdf e-books from *.doc, *.txt or *.rtf? One important note: it must support cyrillic (i.e. Russian language).
Any help will be appreciated!
Although I'm late to the discussion, I'll try and help. I use StarOffice 8.0 (SO) to make my PDFs. SO is basically an office suite like Microsoft Office and features a word processor (Writer), a spreadsheet (Calc), a presentation program (Impress), and a drawing program (Draw). Although it doesn't feature a database, Calc can provide many database functions. I checked SO and it does provide support for the cyrillic language (it is listed as an available language). BTW, OpenOffice.org is a free program that is basically an open source version of SO and should work the same.

With SO, you have everything you need to make PDF ebooks. Writer is able to open all of the formats that you listed. It can also open up HTML files and more than 100 other formats, including many old word processing formats (such as Wordstar 3.3). It allows you to export your documents as PDF files.

When I make a PDF ebook what I normally do is open up the file, save it as an OpenDocument Text (ODT) file (the default format for SO8), format the ODT file for my ereader, and then export it to PDF. When I'm editing the ebook, if I set the view to "Print Layout" my editing screen will match the screen of my ebook reader so I can see exactly what my ebook will look like on my reader.

SO makes it extremely easy to make PDF ebooks. I can take a basic text file and have it ready for my reader in about 2 minutes (set the page size, set the font and line spacing for the text, and then export it to PDF).
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote