View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Thank you again for the quick response. By "still?" I only wanted to indicate that I wonder whether they will change the format of all dictionaries in the near future. But maybe only some of the dictionaries are copyright protected, and this was the reason for encrypting them.
The last firmware version which had the dictionaries embedded was the 2.1.1, and all the dictionaries were encrypted in it. Now all of the installed ones on my Kobo are encrypted except the one I replaced: the english-english. Originally it was also encrypted, but as I used the dict from the 1.9.17 it is now simply gzipped. And works.

I assume you and mnjkl can have some non-encrypted dictionaries on the reader beacuse of skipping the 2.1.1, and the update procedure somehow kept the "old" dictionaries on the reader instead of replacing them with the new ones. All the dictionaries in the Desktop app are encrypted, so I am pretty sure a deselect (at language settings)-sync-reselect-sync procedure would result in all-encrypted dictionaries. In case the Kobo developers decide to not support the gzipped dictionaries in a future firmware I will downgrade to 2.1.5.

Anyway, I can't see why your japanese dict replacement isn't succsessful. You should try replacing the current (encrypted) japanese dict on your reader with the (gzipped) japanese from the 2.0.0 without editing it. If that works, that means your edited dictionary is somehow corrupted, but the replacement method works.
If it fails, that means the japanese dictionary is handled differently than the english-english. You can still try to replace another dictionary you are not using with the japanese-english and see what happens. It wouldn't be "elegant" to have to choose eg. dutch dictionary to translate from japanese but still...
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote