View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
So basically, all the information is just there, in plain sight, obfusticated a bit.

To someone who knows computers and programming, this sort of encoding (Unix timestamps, base64 for an image, sometimes used to "embed" many small images in HTML code, to prevent server file requests) is the same as trying to "encode" a message by writing it backward and hoping no-one will notice.

Using Sigil's search and replace, this watermark can be removed within seconds.
Perhaps the obfustication is to keep it from ruining the reading experience? If I was buying an ebook that was watermarked, my main objection would be having to view this watermark interspersed with the text. If the purpose is scare tactics then why hide or minimise it? (not saying that you said that it was)

My biggest problem with watermarks is if they interfere with the story I am trying to read. Give me a non intrusive method of DRM any day.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote