View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
Colour has got nothing to do with reading books, and those who whine on about it merely betray the fact that they're not looking for a book reader, they're looking for a smaller version of their computer screen. LCD screens can produce only a poor facsimile of a glossy magazine, but there may be those who are fooled by the Apple shine into accepting it.
Very true.

I think e-ink or some equivalent screen will stay around as there will always be a market for dedicated readers for people who just want to read text.

I do definitely want a smaller version of my computer screen. A4 size, good stylus writing support etc. Reading's a pretty minor hobby of mine, so I'd get more frequent use out of a tablet than I do my Kindle which just gets read at night before sleep (when I used to read paper backs) and on plane trips.

Tablet I could use for academic documents, PDA, net browsing, video watching etc. so I'm very anxious to see some tablet devices (not the full fledged tablet laptops that have been around) start coming out as I've said repeatedly.

But no question, they won't kill off dedicated readers or e-ink. It's not an either/or proposition. There's plenty of room in the market from all kinds of devices which can display ebooks-from dedicated e-ink devices, to laptops/pcs, to tablet devices to smart phones and PDAs.

And the more the better as any thing that increases the number of people with the ability to buy and read e-books is good for all of us--regardless of device were prefer to read on personally. Expanding the market will lead to better selection, better prices, and probably the death of DRM eventually (easier to be tough on a niche vs. a mass market media with fierce competition).
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote