View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #42
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I'll do one at a time, come back periodically and update them (I AM at work after all!)

this first one I grew up calling Navajo Green, sometimes it is referred to as Green Chilie Stew. I don't really measure... people comfortable in a kitchen should be able to follow along.

pork roast or loin cut into chunks
flour
salt
pepper
cumin
onions
garlic
tomatillos
anaheim or poblano peppers (canned chilies, by ortega or old el paso can fill in. I could get old el paso in markets in Germany, it may take some looking, but they are out there!)
chicken bullion
olive or canola oil

dredge pork chunks in flour, salt and pepper and cumin mixture, shake meat chunks off so they look just barely white. brown in skillet with the oil. the goal here is that you are going to have left over browned flour in this skillet, remove meat chunks from the skillet when lightly browned (it is ok if they are not done) and make a roux using the chicken bullion and drippings from the skillet. if the chilies are fresh, blister the skins, and peel. retain as much liquid as you can. discard stems, peels, seeds and veins (the heat is more intense in the seeds and veins so you can leave some in accordingly depending on your heat tolerance). if you are using canned chilies, chop them into chunks and poor liquid into your roux. if using fresh tomatillos, put them into boiling water and "stew" them (refer to cookbooks for directions), add to roux. bottled or canned green tomatillo sauce work well in this recipe and if you are time challenged you may prefer to use them. saute onions and garlic in olive oil until transulescent, use amounts depending on your onion/garlic passions. place browned meat chunks and sauteed onions and garlic into seperate pot with chicken bullion just covering the mixture and bring to a boil. adjust pot to a gentle rather than rolling boil for 5 minutes, then combine with the roux. adjust mix accordingly for thickness.

this is best served with warm flour tortillas and butter. very simple, very rib sticking and very yum! as the roux is made with either olive or canola oil, the pork is relatively low fat, this is a pretty healthy dish. I've been able to obtain every ingredient on the open market while stationed in Germany, so hopefully that will not be an issue (well ok, I made the tortillas)
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote