View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 03:22 AM   #2
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I used the Sony PRS-505 for almost a year. PDFs haven't been an issue when it was just plain text. The reader reflows the PDF when zooming and sets the page and line breaks according to the display size. Usually, in the default zoom setting small, the text was barely readable. So I usually used medium size. Sometimes the line spacing gets mixed up in a way that the spacing is about one line in between the text. But that just happened on some pages within a book.
For PDFs with heavy formatting (pictures, graphs, etc.), I usually extracted the pages as jpgs. This worked for me.
Now I've switched to the PRS-600 (touch edition). I think this one handles pdfs (with heavy formatting) much better as there is a zoom function where you can pan around. This works much better for me. For books (text mainly), the function with reflowing works as on the PRS-505. So I still use reflow (I don't bother if line breaks are a little odd) for books and use the zoom and pan for formatted pages. The zoom and pan is actually much better on the 600 as the pages don't have to be extracted which caused like 70 jpgs not being held together in one file.
In terms of readability, the 505 was better as it didn't have the touch layer.
Ok, that's all my opinion. Here in Germany, there aren't many models to have in electronics stores which is why I went with the Sonys.
I think I read that the kindle doesn't support zoom and pan for pdfs which was a no go for me.
Some other readers where on sale online, but I didn't like the input concept with only page turn buttons and a D-pad. The Sony either had enough buttons or with the 600, touch.
The bigger readers were to expensive, and I especially like the size of the Sonys. It's easy to take with you.

Sorry I wrote so much, but I thought this should give a first look two of the readers that are out there.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote