Thread: Literary O Pioneers! by Willa Cather
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #14
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
That's an interesting comment desert blues. I hadn't thought of Bergman's films.

I have just finished reading the book and have to confess that I found it disappointing, as it didn't seem very deep to me. I didn't really feel that the characters were developing as they went through life.
(...)
I am rather a fan of arthouse films and watched quite a few of Bergman. Especially 'Wild Strawberries' I liked very much. Somehow these stories appeal to my (rather calvinistic) upbringing, I think....

Yes, Bookpossum, I can understand that reaction completely. I think this is one of the books that needs 'to sink in'.
Last year I had the same experience with the Good Earth Trilogy of Pearl Buck. Once the context and development of that genre becomes clear, it does make more sense.

I'll wait a bit till I have chewed on this book, digested it and so on.......
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote