View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 03:45 AM   #4
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
I only read the Engadget review but it seems unnecessarily harsh. Key concerns, though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engadget
the Fire never delivers smooth, seamless performance
(to be fair, they were referring to non-Amazon applications ... I guess the Amazon stuff works fairly well, surprise surprise.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engadget
browser performance itself didn't wow us
I also had not previously considered the lack of volume buttons on the Fire.

They mention that Amazon will let you download your own content as many times as you want, but I really want someone to try that with videos. The web page indicates you get two times and you are done.

Sorting options are limited, and the carousel is not terribly useful, but I always find myself using the search feature and favorites these days.

It sounds like Engadget has no idea what the Silk browser actually offers, but that's expected given the confusing information Amazon put out there. Recently visited home pages make the carousel ... interesting.

The stereo speakers are, in practice, mono because of their placement.

They criticize the video quality, but, given their snide comments, I bet it's just as good as on a PC.

I find it very odd that the Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire have different tap zones when reading books. I guess those developers don't have lunch together. It's a little frustrating that they didn't spend much time examining the reading aspect.

They don't include a data cable in the box!??!? Maybe they are trying to send a message about usage, but I find that obnoxious.

In the end, they almost had me sold on the Galaxy Tab Plus ... if it wasn't for the lack of really great reading ePub software outside of a dedicated device. Maybe I should buy this Mantano that everyone is talking about...
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote