Thread: Dan Simmons
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
i don't see any of his views as being worthy of controversy, hes dead on when it comes to education for example.
I don't think they are controversial. Nor do I take offense with any of his personal views. They're his and he can have and express whatever views he wants on his website.

I just don't like works of fiction that are nothing more than vehicles for personal, political polemic... even when it's beliefs that I happen to share.

I'm not asking for fiction authors to not include anything of themselves or their beliefs in their books, that would be presumptuous. I'd just like it if they refrained from using their books as overt vehicles for those beliefs.

If they can't refrain... so be it. I'll stop reading. No sweat. Like I said, Simmons' decision to use Flashback as a vehicle saddened me. It didn't outrage, incense, or offend me. Nor did I think it was controversial. I hope he doesn't do anything like that again, because I'd like everything he writes to be an automatic buy for me. That, and I already know where to go when I'm looking for a good dose of preachin'.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-21-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: egregious typo.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote