View Single Post
Old 11-24-2018, 10:43 PM   #13
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Side Note: Long story short, Footception is not a good layout. See discussion about this on the LaTeX Stack Exchange:

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questi...hin-a-footnote
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questi...-footnote-text

Also, Word just isn't capable of doing this, you would need advanced tools that can generate multiple sets of distinct footnotes. Like the bigfoot package in LaTeX:

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questi...sted-footnotes

For book design/readability... it's almost always bad, bad, bad! And trying to hack this together in Word... atrocious, atrocious, atrocious!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
If you could attach a sample DOCX/EPUB, that would be helpful.
Agreed.
Alcuin7 PMed me his DOCX, so I was able to take a look at it directly.

I stripped his DOCX down to a page and attached a sample DOCX:

AlcuinFootception[TexTest].docx

Note: ... and as expected, the numbering on his manually formatted "footnotes within footnotes" couldn't cope. ANY sort of adding/removing of footnotes is going to bamboozle the manual "level 2 footnotes".

From what I could tell, the footnotes were 1-999 because of Word's limitations to 1 level of footnotes.

His "invisible footnotes" were done using Word's Footnote functionality, similar to this:

Spoiler:
Quote:
[...] the smallest<sup>2</sup><sup class="tinywhite">3</sup> depositors.<sup>4</sup><sup class="tinywhite">5</sup><sup class="tinywhite">6</sup> This is a perversion [...]

Note: I already explained this to Alcuin in PM, but these "invisible footnotes" are also an AWFUL solution for Search/Replace/Accessibility reasons.

So 3, 5, 6 appear at the bottom of the page in sequential order below the linebreak.

And then the footnote text below the linebreak:

Spoiler:
Quote:
<hr />

<sup>2</sup> You can read the official agreement at [...] commence across Europe.<sup>117</sup>

<sup>117</sup> This formation of the citation I owe to [...]

<sup>118</sup> [...]

The bold 117 points to the "invisible" 117 (you can Ctrl+Click it in Word and jump to location).

Now, onto the bug. When you use Word's Save as HTML, this clickable link DOES NOT export to the HTML. It creates a simple <sup>117</sup> (same with Calibre's DOCX->EPUB).

So where you would EXPECT:

Spoiler:
Quote:
<sup id="ft117" class="tinywhite">117</sup>

<hr />

<sup>116</sup> You can read the official agreement at [...] commence across Europe.<a href="#ft117"><sup>117</sup></a>

You just get:

Spoiler:
Quote:
<sup id="ft117" class="tinywhite">117</sup>

<hr />

<sup>116</sup> You can read the official agreement at [...] commence across Europe.<sup>117</sup>

I see a similar issue with his Cross Reference links within Footnotes too. The DOCX lets you Ctrl+Click like this:

Spoiler:
Quote:
<hr />

<sup>116</sup> [...] (See <a href="#ft73">footnote 73</a>)

but Word HTML export + Calibre's DOCX->EPUB turns into a plain:

Spoiler:
Quote:
<hr />

<sup>116</sup> [...] (See footnote 73)

URLs within footnotes look to be working fine, it's just these cross-links that don't appear in the HTML.

Very odd... anyone else more familiar with Word's Cross-Links functionality? Does HTML Export work for normal Cross-Links that are in normal text?

Note: And Alcuin's "cross-links" jump to the wrong location. They point to the "invisible" footnotes in the main text, NOT the footnotes themselves. So the HTML generated would be wrong anyway...

Quote:
It should. As Doits pointed out (and thanks, Doits, so that I don't need to do that!) the popup footnote functionality is going to be flukey with 3 levels of "nested" footnotes.
Yeah, I'm highly recommending against nested footnotes for all sorts of reasons... ESPECIALLY when using Word. It just isn't built to handle this situation. And hacking something together is only going to bring extreme pain and misery.

Better to rewrite your document to include only a single level of footnotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, and if you do set [...] forced left-alignment, and OMG, it pissed me off to suffer through it. I absolutely reported it to the KDP
Do they still not let the device manually override this?

It should be similar to something like Gitden Reader (or a Kobo). You have the Left + Justified buttons, but you also can just turn it OFF (Publisher Default).

User setting should override anything Left + Justified + without alignment set. And then shouldn't effect anything Center + Right aligned.

This is a common enough issue in ebooks, I would have assumed all newer devices (ESPECIALLY Kindles) should have this functionality.

It's just absolutely baffling to me.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-25-2018 at 12:21 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote