View Single Post
Old 11-21-2018, 01:49 AM   #2
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin7 View Post
I have document with endnotes embedded to endnotes. (Footnotes to footnotes.) That is, some of the endnotes have their own endnote references. In at least some instances, there are endnotes to endnotes to endnotes.
This type of formatting is very complex.

The only way you will be able to correct this is to get your hands dirty in the actual HTML.

Back in 2013, I posted an EPUB I converted with 3 sets of footnotes:
  • *, †, ‡
  • (a), (b), (c)
  • (1), (2), (3)

Feel free to take that apart and see how I did it.

It had many footnotes in footnotes. For example, Chapter 9:

Within Normal Text:

Spoiler:
Quote:
<p>External commerce consists of the supply of the home market with foreign, and of foreign markets with home products.<a href="#fn1" id="ft1">[1]</a></p>

Footnotes At End of HTML File:

Spoiler:
Quote:
<p><a href="#ft1" id="fn1">[1]</a> Products that are bought to be re-sold, are called <i>merchandise</i>; and merchandise bought for consumption is denominated <i>commodities</i>.<a href="#fna" id="fta">[a]</a></p>

<p><a href="#fta" id="fna">[a]</a> This distinction has been discarded in the translation, for the sake of simplification; the general term products being sufficiently intelligible and specific. <span class="smallcaps">Translator</span>.</p>

So the [1] (Red) footnotes point back/forth to each other, and the [a] (Blue) footnotes point back/forth to each other.

You'll have to go through your code, copy/paste them to their proper locations, and come up with all the proper HTML code to link them back and forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin7 View Post
All the embedded (secondary and tertiary) endnotes are listed in main document following the primary endnote, then shrunk to font size 1 and colored white to make them as inconspicuous as possible. In the primary endnote, I cross-linked to each endnote.
... and what happens in the Word DOCX if someone clicked the cross-link? How are people supposed to read these footnotes in footnotes if they're size 1 and white text?

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-21-2018 at 01:59 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote