View Single Post
Old 11-20-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
Alcuin7
Alcuin7 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Endnotes within Endnotes

I’m a newbie. I’m probably asking a question that’s been asked before, but I was unable to locate it using the forum Search or Google.

I have document with endnotes embedded to endnotes. (Footnotes to footnotes.) That is, some of the endnotes have their own endnote references. In at least some instances, there are endnotes to endnotes to endnotes.

In Microsoft Word, I overcame this using cross-links. All the embedded (secondary and tertiary) endnotes are listed in main document following the primary endnote, then shrunk to font size 1 and colored white to make them as inconspicuous as possible. In the primary endnote, I cross-linked to each endnote.

I converted my DOCX to EPUB with Calibre, but it doesn’t recognize the cross-links. And the “disappeared” endnotes show up in the main text.

So I located a secondary endnote in the converted EPUB and used the Calibre HTML editor to cut-and-paste that secondary endnote from the main text into the primary endnote where I want it. That worked great: I can go to the primary endnote, click on the secondary endnote, and I go to the secondary endnote. So far, so good.

Now my problem arises. I click on the secondary endnote number (in the secondary endnote) to return to the primary endnote, and instead of going back to the primary endnote, I go back to the main text.

Does anyone have any idea about what I need to do to return to the primary endnote instead of the main text?
Alcuin7 is offline   Reply With Quote