View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 05:30 PM   #49
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm nominating Before the Fact, by Francis Iles. This book is the basis for Hitchcock's film Suspicion, and has what I consider one of the grabbiest openings ever:

Quote:
Some women give birth to murderers, some go to bed with them, and some marry them. Lina Aysgarth had lived with her husband for nearly eight years before she realized that she was married to a murderer.
How can you not want to read on?

In the U.S., I am seeing the book available only at Amazon, for $4. For some reason, I can't find an epub for sale in the U.S., though it is available in Overdrive.

I do see it at Amazon UK (2 pounds) and at Kobo Canada (where the author's name is misspelled Isles) and at Kobo UK (again misspelled).

Please DO NOT look at the Goodreads listing for this book if you are remotely interested, because you'll immediately see spoiler after spoiler after spoiler.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote