View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #8
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayk View Post
... I'd rather not support a company that intentionally does that ... I like the sound of Kobo / Adobe digital editions, as at least it's not in one bookstore's hands...
BN's just getting a lot of flak right now because they tightened up their DRM to be more like other vendors.

Vendors that use Adobe are no safer -- in fact, they could be worse. Last year, Adobe added what they're claiming is unbreakable "hardened DRM" to Adobe Digital Editions starting with version 3.0 (more here). So far no vendor (that I know of) has implemented it, but if any of them decide to switch it on, Alf's current tools won't work.

Also, with Kobo, not all ebooks are available as straight epub. Some are only available in Kobo's proprietary kepub format that can only be read on Kobo devices. There's another plug-in that can help you with that, but the point is, you need to jump through hoops with all ebook vendors if you want fully portable books. Which hoop is "better" or "easier" is debatable. As far as I'm concerned, it's pretty much a matter of personal preference.

Last edited by odamizu; 03-14-2015 at 10:26 PM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote