View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #1
jayk
Enthusiast
jayk doesn't litterjayk doesn't litterjayk doesn't litter

Device: Iliad
Kobo Reader and Bookstore for non-drm or drm-removable books?

Hello,

Apologies if this has been asked before. I've been searching the forum and the wiki and can't find an answer.

I own a Kobo Aura HD (awesome device) and I'm trying to figure out where I can buy ebooks for it that are either DRM free or DRM removable?

Where do you buy your books and how do you deal with the DRM mess?

A few months ago, as a former nook owner, I got the shock of realizing all the books I bought and paid for could not be read on my new Kobo. I figured that out and with the help of Calibre was able to get my books onto my Kobo... and was thus able to buy new books on the nook store until they changed the keys thing and now I can't again.

I don't want to just switch to the Kobo store and find myself in the same situation a year from now where my paid-for books from the kobo store can't be read except on my Kobo.

I am happy to pay for my books, but I really don't know what to do now or where to get my ebooks. I'm a little bit angry at the bookstores for this mess and I'll be honest there is a part of me that just wants to pirate already-broken books just so I know I will not suddenly lose my books... But I do not want to punish Authors for the stupidity of these corps.

So... any help? Where do you buy your books? How do you deal with this stuff?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jay
jayk is offline   Reply With Quote