View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
And looking around a bit, I see Qt5 now claims support for Android and iOS.
And for Python + Qt I kept seeing references to PySide not Qpython. But now Qt5 *supports* Android PyQt *should* work too.
Be very wary. PyQt (I think) uses C or C++ wrappers to talk to Qt. Android Qt seems to be rewritten in Java (which is not at all a surprise). If both of these are true then PyQt would need to be redone to work against Java. Possibly that is as simple as using Jython, but in my experience nothing of this complexity is that simple.

It would probably be easier to develop a client/server version of calibre and then implement that client using native libraries on the device. And funny thing -- that is exactly what Kovid is planning to do. He will take care of clients for the normal operating systems (but I am sure he is hoping for help). Others will build clients for systems not natively supported.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote