View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #103
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The full article is here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stor...bo-tablet.html

I'm pretty sure that it isn't that Kobo isn't allowing access to Android market, but rather that the device does not meet the requirements for Market access. Google has not been allowing access to devices without cameras. I wonder if the CBC got it wrong, or if Serbinis said it this way.

I can't find any reason that the Vox wouldn't have access to the Market. Cameras are not a requirement for Android 2.3.3. (3.0 and up may be different).

According to the Compatibility Definition Document (what software and hardware are required) it only says "Device implementations SHOULD include a rear-facing camera, and MAY include a front-facing camera...."
http://static.googleusercontent.com/...-2.3.3-cdd.pdf (the suff that is required is a MUST not a SHOULD)

Now that doesn't mean that Vox will have it installed out of the box since with Market you need a google account. Yes, I know it is free but not everyone has one and the latest revision of the Market makes it a bit harder to find the free apps- they don't appear on the front page anymore while the pay ones are very prominent. They may have Getjar installed to highlight the free apps.

Last edited by p_a_smith; 10-20-2011 at 09:09 AM. Reason: corrected speeling mistakes
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote