View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 07:31 AM   #16
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
My guess is that news content will be paid for in the long term. The thing about news is that it's new - there isn't time to "pirate" it, and people don't want to faff about collating everything or trying to work out what to believe. They want a trusted source that will tell them the kind of news that they want (Sun/Grauniad/Torygraph/Mail/Hello/whatever), in a way that reinforces their prejudices, in a convenient package. I think that people will see value in this in the long term.

Early on, newspapers were competing for a presence on the web, in the context of the early madness around investing in the internet for incredible future returns that never materialised. As a result, they all adopted a free model which is difficult to back down on now. The increasingly popular format of a book-sized device that you can carry around (such as ereaders, netbooks and ipads) presents a new opportunity for newspapers, I think, because people don't see this as simply a browser. If they can deliver a convenient, pleasant-to-read newspaper to such devices, they will probably be able to charge for it.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote