Thread: Ed in Wisconsin
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
melchioe
Addicted
melchioe began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Nooks, PRS-505, Kindles, lots of old ones
The library appears to be device dependant. The content in the library is fully offline, and does NOT automatically update with the online repository. THis is done at one of two times - initial purchase, and if the content is manually downloaded later on.

I probably wasn't clear enough. What we wanted, as we both travel for work quite a bit, is to manage the readers on TWO separate computers. This works fine for the most part - we've authorized my laptop, her laptop, and both readers under one email address. This counts for 4 of the six potential devices. We even got both of the $50 credits on the same account.

Where the problem lies is in downloading titles after purchase. Say I buy 6 titles that both myself and my wife want to read. I purchase them using my computer, and the purchase process downloads ALL of them to my PC. So far, so good.

Now, my wife wants to download them. She must go to the Account/View and Download all purchased eBooks in the Connect reader, click on a single title, and click download. It'd be nice to check them all and hit download. It'd even be nicer to do them one at a time if that darned "Download Completed - Your eBook has been successfully downloaded to our library" didn't pop up after every download completed.

It's also an issue if the Connect Reader crashes during the intial download (which it has for me a number of times) - then the titles need to be downloaded individually.

Slayda, you are exactly right, although you don't need multiple USB ports - as long as we are both in the same place, we can just connect the second reader to the PC that downloaded it. Then the only issue is synching up the two libraries later on. Just in case I need to hard reset the reader... Not that I;ve had to do that more than three times so far...

It works, but as with a bunch of parts of the Connect Reader interface, it's a bit clunky for my tastes. Sony says "Thank you for contacting Sony Connect! The current version of the software only allows one book to be downloaded at a time. I will pass your suggestion on so it can be considered. "

I'd also be happier if it let me sort in "date purchased" order.

Oh well, I'll wait for the next version and hope they fix that... In the meantime, don't let this discourage you from getting a second reader! It's a nice way to share.

Last edited by melchioe; 11-05-2006 at 06:05 PM.
melchioe is offline   Reply With Quote