View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 02:57 AM   #40
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
Something like MobiPocket Creator is doing a whole lot of clean-up afterwards - things like filtering out page headings and numbers, de-hyphenation, image cropping, etc. - which would be impossible in real time, at least on current ereader hardware. Yes, you can do a simple reflow without this extra processing, but it looks/reads like crap, see: Calibre's PDF>ePub output.
Actually it doesn't look like crap. (EDIT: well maybe Calibre's efforts do, as mentioned in a post above) but I used an ereader that does PDF reflow for a year or more before I got the Kobo. It worked well, and made it possible to enjoy reading PDFs. So, I am not speaking theoretically, it can be done, it has been done, very successfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
And of course a simple scanned PDF, which I think is largely what people want to read, is impossible to do any of this with anyway, at least without the additional step of OCRing which introduces a whole extra bunch of problems.
It is quite clear from the discussion - and I am sure I mentioned it somewhere - that we are NOT talking about scanned image PDFs.

Last edited by jusmee; 12-25-2012 at 03:01 AM.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote