View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #54
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
You're viewing the walled gardens differently. Amazon's KFHD is far more prison-like than any i-device. The original Kindle Fire had loose control, the HD has much tighter control and forced ads on the lockscreen (removable by paying a $15 ransom) and the constant "other customers have purchased" ads are ever present even after paying.

The KFHD is turning out to be little more than a dedicated ATM machine for Amazon purchases.

Apple: "This is what we're doing, but you can add to that. Have your own media? We'll integrate it with the media that you buy from us."

Amazon: "This is what we're doing, and we'll tell you what you can add. If you want to add your own media, you can only do so by figuring it out yourself and THEN we'll quarantine your media for the leper it is." Amazon App Store deliberately blocks apps from installing on the KF that Amazon does not want you to install. Not for technical reasons, but for marketing reasons. Side loaded videos do not appear in the video section of the KFHD.

From a "limited general use Android tablet" point of view, the KFHD is a big step backwards. From an "Amazon point of sales" perspective, they've made a huge leap forward.

Having said that, I'll probably keep mine.

Bezos was disingenuous when he keeps referring to the Kindle Fire line as "tablets", but he was truthful when he said that "Kindle Fire is a service". In that respect, the KF hardware is nothing more than a set top box for cable.
I like amazon, and I am hoping that there is a "ground swell" of indignation of users that they listen and back down and "unlock" the kfhd so users can "customize" it.

If they do not there maybe a chance all of the "ballyhoo" on how great the fire hd is will turn into an egg in the face moment.

Time will tell!
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote