View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #18
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
The donation model didn't work for software developers, and I don't see it working for any kind of artist.
It works all the time for software developers - ask Kovid, the author of the excellent Calibre software many of us use. Ask Alex about the software this site runs on (more than likely Apache with MysQL or some other open-source or no charge database back-end. If it's a windows IIS server I'd be very surprised.).

Quote:

Perhaps I'm just an aging cynic, but people won't pay for what they can get for free.
Listen, don't get me wrong, I understand how painful it's going to be for a lot of working authors who make their living now from their writing and might find that difficult in the near future. I'd hope those authors would try to experiment, to find a plan that takes them forward and lets them maintain their careers in the future. I no more want to see authors forced out of writing than I would want to see anybody else losing their jobs. Saying that, authors must be open to new technologies, a lot more open than what we've seen in recent years. They must embrace the culture that is growing, find and forge new paths for themselves and others or they run a risk of obsoleting themselves.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote