View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #14
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Availability, price, need to share, illustrations

Whether I go paper or Kindle depends on the above considerations.

1) some books are not available on Kindle--I read them in paper.
2) on rare occasion I have seen Kindle books for 9.99 and new paperbacks for less (presumably the Kindle price was set while the book was only available in hardback and hasn't "caught up" to a recent switch to paper. Come to think of it, I haven't bought any of these (have *lots* of unread books, both e and p) but if I did, I'd probably go paper. On the other hand, a book that is (legally) available free for the Kindle gets read on the Kindle--I don't see any reason to pay for the object when I can get the information for free.
3) if I need to share a book with my husband (recent purchase of "House Buying for Dummies" for example) I get in in paper. My husband doesn't have a Kindle of his own, and I have a hard time giving mine up for even a few hours at a time. :-)
4) if a book has important illustrations that won't show up well on the Kindle (frequently a judgement call without buying the Kindle book), I go with paper.

Another consideration that hasn't come up in the past but may well do so in the future--DRM is an issue, obviously. It seems to bother me less if I want a particular book, than if I want, say, a book in a particular genre but haven't settled on one yet, in which case I consult sites that sell non-DRMed books (or have free books) first.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote