View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 07:06 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by webfolk View Post
Since I don't have a Nook, I'm using the Barnes and Noble eReader downloaded to my MacBook Pro OS 10.5.8. When I look at the file, the lines of text are shifted & indented strangely. ... The EPUB file looks fine on other readers on my Mac.
The B&N Reader desktop software will not give you an accurate indication of how an ebook will display on the Nook. Every viewer, be it a program on your computer or a dedicated reading device will interpret the EPUB spec slightly differently. Even devices using Adobe's reader platform can have slight differences in how they display the same file. Meaning an ebook can look fine on one device or in one application but wrong in another.

My recommendation to avoid display issues: you will want to use something like Sigil and reduce the formatting to the bare minimum. Some readers do strange things with complex formatting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfolk View Post
Also, when I convert either the HTML or the EPUB files to PDB and view that in the B&N eReader or in Calibre, formatting is lost: ... Where does the problem lie?
You need to set the PDB type in the conversion settings to eReader. It defaults to PalmDoc because that format has the most compatibility across devices. However, PalmDoc does not support formatting or images.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote