View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #7
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnut View Post
Over too many times of refresh, White and black microbeads will lose their magnetism and then E-ink screen will fail.

Am I Wrong?
The microbeads are not magnetic, so the mode of failure you suggest is wrong. The beads are electrically charged, not magnetic.

Why would the microbeads change over time? What could cause that?

I don't know what makes an E-ink screen fail over time, or even if they actually do degrade over time, other than by "accidents". Scratches, impacts, flexing, radiation, heat, freezing or strong electrical fields for instance.

Perhaps the microbeads somehow can loose their charge over time, or loose their ability to react to changing external electric fields? Perhaps there are chemical changes over time? I don't know and I haven't seen anything that actually describe why E-ink might degrade over time. Only vague assertions that they DO degrade and words like "stuck", "freeze" and "loss of contrast" but nothing about the actual causes.

Perhaps many page updates will cause degradation? Perhaps long storage WITHOUT page updates cause degradation? Perhaps the degradation is chemical and temperature dependent? Perhaps the display degrade faster in sun light? I don't know.

Perhaps someone can link to more information about this?

It could be interesting to compare the expected lifetime for E-ink displays with other technologies.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote