View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
expatCanuck
expatCanuck began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
nook ST 101 - text scrolls off page ??

Greetings -

Is there any left-right scroll on the nook Simple Touch (or, for that matter, the kindle)?

I ask because of my experience with a couple of introductory Spanish text samples.
One was Spanish Demystified -- wonderful intro text, LOUSY nook implementation.

Of the dozen or two non-copyright / introduction pages in the sample, four pages had text that scrolled completely off the right edge of the screen, & I could determine no way to read it.

In another Spanish text I tried (Spanish Made Simple, Nemethy) I found that text in a right-hand-most 'newspaper' column snaked down the right-hand side of the screen -- the column was far too narrow for the text. Resizing the font to the smallest size improved, but did not remedy, the problem.

[As an aside, I noted that much of the Spanish text in Demystified seemed to be on images or 'plates', which didn't resize when I made the font size bigger -- a tragic flaw. Can one zoom in on an image? Or reorient the nook to landscape mode?]

Increasingly, my impression is that e-publication is just not yet ready for prime time -- at least, not on basic e-readers -- for anything other than a straight novel.

Insight / opinions most welcome.

Thanks,

- Richard

Last edited by expatCanuck; 06-09-2012 at 11:02 AM.
expatCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote