View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 03:32 AM   #88
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel View Post
Basically, I just want the eBook reader to read books. I don't care about fancy music players or games. There are other devices for those. First of all, I live in Canada so a few types of eReaders aren't easy to purchase here. I will probably not be getting my books from the stores within the eBook reader. Rather, I will get my books on my computer from various stores or free sources. I think they generally come in the ePub fromat, so compatibility with ePub is important. Additionally, I won't need 3G or even wifi. Decent PDF support would also be nice, but is not mandatory. As long as PDF's that are formatted for a 6'' reader are easily readable, that is all I really need. Furthermore, being able to jump to specific pages in a PDF would be nice. The only other important factor for my decision is price. Hopefully I can get a reader that is $200 CAD or less.

I've done a bit of research so far and this is what I've come up with.

Sony PRS-650 ($230 CAD): It seems to have all the features I want and even has pretty good PDF support, but it's at a price a little too high for my liking.

B&N Nook ($150 US = $154 CAD): This seems like a pretty decent reader and it's cheap. Sadly, it isn't available in Canada so it might be hard to get one.

Kobo ($100 CAD no wifi or $160 CAD wifi): For $100 dollars it seems like a great deal, but I hear that the PDF support is not so good. EDIT: It looks like the $100 dollar Kobo is not going to happen. They have to be picked up locally and there are almost none left.

Kindle 3 ($140 CAD no 3G or $190 CAD 3G): The Kindle 3 is priced well and it seems to be a well reviewed reader. Sadly, though, it doesn't support ePub files and it probably would get very annoying having to convert most of the eBooks I get to a usable format.

So what do you guys think? Should I get one of these four readers or something else entirely?
I always recommend or say to people, buy your device according to the books you like and their online store availability; the device it's just a tool, but the content, books, it's what really matters.

Having said that and if you are in Canada, I think Amazon Kindle will fulfill your needs.

Forget about epub format. I had a Nook, sold now. It's an awesome device but B&N epub books are DRM protected so you will end in a similar "close format" situation to Amazon Kindle vs AZW format.

Think about Kindle 3 as 1st option, then Nook.

PS: by the way, Kindle 3 supports PDFs in native format. You can also use it landscape mode or even zoom some portions of your documents, which right now is not possible with Nook and 1.5 firmware version. I know this by experience, not word of mouth or internet.

Last edited by jocampo; 12-09-2010 at 03:38 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote