Thread: Classic Nook Sharing Site?
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Technically you are correct. No actual rule is broken. But the intent was to share with a friend an occasional book that you found interesting, however the intent of the site is to try to get something for free and get every possible book the user is will to provide. I guess you don't see any difference.
I don't care what the seller's "intent" is, when I buy something. It doesn't come with a usage contract that says "you must read books the way we want them to be read." I don't buy books with an understanding that I'll be the only person reading them.

If I buy a car, it's not the seller's choice whether I drive it on city streets, for long freeway travel, or on closed race-courses that will burn out the clutch in a couple of months. If it's properly insured, I can share it with a pool of friends; we can arrange it so whoever needs a car can pick it up at a pre-established location and drive off with it. It doesn't matter what Ford or Toyota thinks it's supposed to be used for.

If I buy a set of crockery, the store doesn't get to tell me whether I shall cook with them in the oven, or the microwave, or smash them into pieces for an art project.

"Intent" is for personal relationships. For gifts among friends; sometimes, for sales among friends. If I buy my friend's pottery, she'll rightfully be very upset if I smash it for art projects.

I don't have a personal friendship with Barnes & Noble, and they have no legal or moral right to tell me how to use their products. I'm fairly sure they don't have a legal right to restrict loaning to one time, or a certain number of days. They don't have a legal obligation to provide more than that--but they don't have the right to restrict further loaning, if someone figures out how to do it.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote