View Single Post
Old 08-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #11
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker
I was introduced to digital books by someone after they learned that I was having difficulty reading paper books.

It was a revelation to me and I haven't looked back since. Not only can I increase the font size and contrast to suit my eyesight but I can have hundreds of books taking up a very small space.

I still buy lots of paper books – but I don't read them. I scan them and create digital books that I can read more easily on my reading device.

During my learning process I found several sources of illegal ebooks. The quality of these is variable – sometimes very good and sometimes awful. Nevertheless, even the awful ones can be edited to near perfection when I have a paper copy in hand to refer to. I will often do this, download an ebook and if I think I will like it I go buy the paper book so I can edit the digital copy. I am very fussy in this respect and like good proof-reading.

I share them with my friend who is blind who uses the text-to-speech facility on her computer. I bitterly resent the draconian restrictions that come with purchased e-books. They do not allow text-to-speech amongst many other things.

So if these actions make me a criminal so be it – I feel that if these publishers won't play fair with me then I won't play fair with them.
Actually, in the US I think anti discrimination laws trump copyright so you are probably legal.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote