View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #337
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
I just joined the forum....I read a couple of pages of replies on this thread, but decided not to read all 23 pages<!> of replies! I ordered a Kindle 2 within hours of Amazon announcing the price drop and international version. I live in the US, but do travel internationally once or twice a year, and did give some thought to buying the international version. I decided not to, partly because I just don't see that much benefit for me in it (I don't plan to have a lot of subscriptions on my Kindle, and I hope I don't have international trips so dull I need to buy a lot of books on them!). But also because I learned that it used the ATT network, at least within the US. ATT's wireless network is certainly extensive, but it is having problems with being overloaded in some major US cities, apparently because of the insatiable demands of iPhone users for bandwidth! The news articles I've seen suggest that the major cities on the EAst and West coast are the main areas with problems....Sadly, these are also where I suspect the highest concentrations of international travelers who might buy an international Kindle live! In fairness, I don't think it will create an impossible problem, but it might lead to delays in downloading books or subscriptions.

Here's an article about the overloaded networks I spoke of:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/14886...rs_during_ctia

There are plenty more if you do a little googling.
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote