View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #22
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Ads in ebooks have several problems.

1) Portable ebook readers with small screens don't allow for non-annoying ads. Doesn't matter if they're text-based or not; a business-card sized ad is almost half a page on a 6" reader's screen, and that drastically disrupts the flow of the book. (Unless, of course, you put it at the beginning or end, where it'll be ignored.)
I would think that the Ad inclusion would have to be dynamic so that it would take into account the user's eReader type.

Quote:

2) Different viewing technology means advertisers have no choice/control over how their ads are seen. I read on a PRS-505--color ads are wasted on me, and blinkies won't work. But people reading on an iPad could see full-color animations embedded in their ePubs.
Again that would need to be handled by the ePub format and inclusion/exclusion of ads by the individual eReader software.
Quote:

3) The connection between "advertisement" and "sales" is always a bit thin, and you'd need some really impressive marketing to get ads in books to lead to sales of anything that's not other books. And the demographics for people who read ebooks, other than the romance/erotica genre, is too diverse to target for most ad companies. People who read ebooks of Twilight and Dan Brown aren't the same people who read the pbooks; ads aimed at the pbook crowd aren't as likely to work.
Well the first ads would probably be rather ineffective. I do believe that Apple will do something to more target the consumer simply because the iPad is just ripe for them to get targetted information on the specific user.
Quote:

4) That ad-stripping script will go active about eight minutes after the first ad-laden books hits the digital shelves, and publishers and advertisers will scream themselves blue about how *that* is what's killing all their profits... not the fact that most people are going to ignore the ads they see in books.
I agree.

Last edited by paulckennedy; 02-02-2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: corrected grammar
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote