View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
gris
Connoisseur
gris began at the beginning.

Device: m92, sonyt2,
kindle formats?

hello!

I bought a paperwhite, and now I wonder about different format I can use. I can read mobi on the kindle, and what else.

I found that
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_...port_by_device

it says i can use other formats, but only if i let it convert through amazon. Now I know, that I sure can convert it my own with software tools, but can't the paperwhite and kindle 4, touch, so the newer ones use those formats native.

The page says png, jpg I need to convert too. I found that I must create an ordner named images and then the files appear. Maybe I need to create another folder with a name I don't know and the kindle shows the other formats too. For example a htm page, .doc?

Anyone knows?

Format support by device

The first generation Kindle can read only unprotected Mobipocket files (MOBI, PRC), plain text files (TXT), Topaz format books (TPZ), and Amazon's AZW format.

The Kindle 2 added native PDF capability with the Version 2.3 firmware upgrade.[22] Earlier versions could not generally read PDF files, but Amazon provided "experimental" conversion to the native AZW format,[95] with the caveat that not all PDFs may format correctly.[96] The Kindle 2 added the ability to read the Audible Enhanced (AAX) format, but dropped the ability to read Audible versions 2 and 3. The Kindle 2 can also display HTML files stored on the unit.

The fourth/fifth generation Kindles, Kindle Touch, Kindle Touch 3G, and Kindle Paperwhite can display AZW, TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, and PRC files natively. HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, and BMP are usable through conversion. The Touch and Touch 3G can also play Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX) and MP3 files.[97] Amazon indicated in 2012 that the fourth generation Kindles will be updated to support the KF8 format.[98]
Email conversion

Amazon offers an email-based service that will convert GIF, PNG and BMP graphics to AZW.[99] Amazon will also convert HTML pages and Microsoft Word (DOC) documents through the same email-based mechanism, which will send a Kindle-formatted file to the device via 3G for $0.15 per MB or via WiFi for free. These services can be accessed to Kindle devices, Apple iOS devices running Kindle app version 2.9 or greater, and Android devices running Kindle app version 3.5 or greater.[100]
gris is offline   Reply With Quote