Thread: Serial Question
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 02:30 AM   #11
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lporter View Post
I have a question - If I have access to the serial port, is my kindle basically unbrickable? I ask this because I am doing all sorts of flashing to try to get android to boot and I don't want to toast my device.
Bootloader (U-Boot) is written on separate boot partition. It's not a partition defined in the MBR, it's a bit "low-level", hardware-defined eMMC partition. It's not accessible from stock Kindle Linux, but it's recognized in recent kernels. It could be overwritten from fastboot mode, though. My investigations on this subject are here.

It means that with access to serial port you can completely erase /dev/mmcblk0 and still have no worries: just get to U-Boot prompt through serial connection, enable fastboot mode, flash MBR, diags kernel and diags partition with SSH, load diags, SSH to it and dd main partition image to it's partition. (OK, maybe you'll should worry a little, because I didn't try this scenario, but I honestly don't see any problems there.)

However, if you'll somehow erase that boot partition (and, therefore, delete U-Boot), you'll be out of luck, because there will be nothing to answer to serial connection.

Last edited by eureka; 01-12-2013 at 02:45 AM. Reason: fix spelling
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote