View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #106
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Tomorrow View Post
According to too many scared people, it seems like the sky will indeed fall once that happens. On the other hand, non-commercial filesharing is already legal in several countries, e. g. Spain, so yeah ... It's probably not gonna bring about the end of civilization as we know it.
Well , if non commercial copying was legal, I'd never buy a single video game, movie, book, tv show or software product ever again. I imagine I'm not alone in that view. Enough people do that and we'll see all the non-commercial entertainment products vanish over time.

Companies will stop making games for entertainment, they'll go back to making software that businesses can use commercially so they can charge for it.

Will movie companies still make movies if they can only sell them to cinemas which are struggling?

imho copyright is essential, however with reasonable time spans which I think the current continued extensions and creep is anything but. To pick an arbitrary number, make it 50 years fixed, no relation to whether you've died or not. That means if you make a single product when you're 20, you can live off it until you're 70 assuming it's popular. Make something just before you retire and you're set for life. After you die, any remaining years of that 50 years should be passed onto whoever gets your inheritance. The actual value of 50 is arbitrary and could be argued about for some time, but the main point is we should imo get away from life + X.

Last edited by JoeD; 10-08-2012 at 12:11 PM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote