View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsofacto View Post
Hello there...

I just bought me a Nook Simple Touch and I've read a lot of people mention Calibre as an ebook converter.

I assumed it was real simple.... I just add a bunch of pdf's or mobi's that I have into Calibre and create ePub versions. OK, thats fine... its apparently doing that it seems.

A few things. I noticed that a pdf may have a title, but when converted the title might be named something else totally. I found that I can go into edit metadata and simply rename the book with its rightful title. However that'd be a pain on many.

But right now this is very confusing... this 'save to disk'. Because, I don't understand whats the difference between that and a Calibre Library.

I was under the impression that all I needed to do was create a calibre library, then add whatever books I wanted to in that library...and if some needed to be converted to epub as well, I'd do that and the epub conversion gets added to the library as well.

So I was thinking, well, I'd really like to put books into categories or genres... like fiction, science, etc... so I figured out that I can create new calibre libraries with the name of whatever genre, then add books of that genre into that particular library and then I can simply switch between whichever library I want to look at.

I'm all correct so far in this assumption?

But then I saw this 'save to disk' thing in the toolbar...and I'm thinking...what the heck do you use that for if the calibre libraries already contained and saved my books?

Then I searched this forum and found the thread about "Managing subgroups of books, for example "genre" (long post)" and it just made my eyeballs spin!

Bottom line.... I'm no techie. I just want to create my libraries with different categories, add/convert books into them and then load them into my Nook. If its going to be more complicated than that, I'm shot!

Thanks!
Save to Disk = Export to a external (to the Library) Disk Drive (or a device that appears to be a disk to your OS)
Add to Library is autosaved.
Add Format (inside Metadata editor) is not saved until you accept (not Cancel) the current book details
I learned this by moving the file from MY to be added folder to MY done folder, before I exited the metadata... I got to see a nice missing file error message
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote