View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 02:24 AM   #1
TJW
Enthusiast
TJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle DXG
DirectFB/Gtk+/WebKit on DXG

The following links contains the binary files of DirectFB, Gtk+ , WebKit and related shared libraries for Kindle DXG, back ported from Kindle 3 source code release.
WebKitGtkKindleDXG.tar.xz (19M)

Usage:
  1. ssh to your kindle
  2. Extract the tar files into a loop file system and mount it on /usr/local. The size of the loop file system should be at least 100M.
  3. cp -r /usr/local/root /var/tmp
  4. /usr/local/bin/gwebkit
  5. you should see debugging messages running and the browser should appear in a while showing a local html file.
  6. use Shift-arrow to move mouse cursor.
  7. use keypad select to simulate mouse button click (only works in the browser window.)
  8. Sym and Shift-Sym to navigate through links and inputs.
  9. Alt-l to update screen, Alt-a Alt-z to zoom. Alt-x to exit.
  10. Menu to jump to uri input box. (then use arrow keys and Sym to escape from the uri input box)
  11. the GtkLauncher has a command line option -d turing, to set the screen size to be 600x800.
This browser is only a prototype and served as a demo. It can surf the web via free 3G network. However, it is intentionally to cripple the functionality so that you will have to enable it manually and take the full responsibility.
Even without 3G network, web browser works very well as an alternative UI and application platform for Kindle. It can be used as a viewer for ebooks in html format, or an image viewer if you are willing to write some javascript code.
There are also other applications come with the tar ball you may wish to try.
  • gtk-demo
  • leafpad a text editor
  • gtkterm2 a terminal emulator
  • vte a terminal emulator
  • gqview image viewer (not working for me)
  • cl (curl)
For example, you can execute gtk-demo using the following command:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib /usr/local/bin/gtk-demo
To use vte and gtkterm2, you need to put termcap file in /etc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I made some change into the source code.
  1. modified keyboard map, so that DircetFB and Gtk+ can handle the DX arrow keys correctly. I also made the Sym key works like Tab key.
  2. merge a simple Kindle dirty call back into Gdk source code so that many Gtk+ application can be build out of box.
  3. I use unmodified and newer Cairo, pango, gnutls instead of those in Kindle 3 source tree. libsoup comes with kindle 3 does not play well with newer version of gnutls. So I modified the source code of libsoup a little bit.
  4. SVG support is disabled.
The modified source code can be found in src directory of the tar ball.
If you can read traditional Chinese, more detail can be found at
http://weijr-note.blogspot.com/2011/...kindle-dx.html
TJW is offline   Reply With Quote