View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Sony PRS505/500 Comparison Study and Pictorial

Through the gracious auspices of Sony's PR firm, PainePR, I've had the chance to review a 505 unit for the last two weeks (alas, it goes back to them today).

In that time I've tried to focus on the differences that I've seen between the two models, and consider what I think of those differences. I will inevitably re-cover some items that others have mentioned, please bear with me, I'll try to bring out something new on those points, but some I just consider particularly important.

As you will see below, I also tried to get some good figure study shots of the 505, and where applicable side-by-side comparison shots with my much loved 500. I'm not the best photographer in the world, nor do I have a fancy set-up, but hopefully the pix will answer some questions for some folks.

I'll start with the Desktop software because I can cover it fairly quickly. Formerly known as the Connect Reader Software, the new version (as most will know) goes by the name of eBook Library. The new software installed easily over the existing one without any issues that I noticed, even replacing the existing icons for the old software with icons for the new one. I assume that it wouldn't find shortcuts that are in non-standard locations, however, I can't confirm that as I didn't really have any other than the ones the original software created.

It found my existing books, and left my collections as they were, and seems to run a bit faster than the old version. In particular, registering the new device seemed markedly faster, but that could also be improvements in the on-line portion of the operation since the time I registered my 500 last year. I've also found it to be more stable than its predecessor.

A brief note on the Connect Store. I noticed a detail or two in the ConnStore that seem worth mentioning here. I believe the wishlist feature they've added has come up already, but I noticed that you can set up a request for notices of new books by specific authors. This seems like a great idea to me, as I tend to follow certain authors.

Okay, on to the 505 itself!

I should probably start with the display. I've included a couple of side-by-sides of the displays. They're not all that great quality-wise, but they do give a good idea of the difference between the displays themselves, you just have to adjust mentally for the fact that both shots are darker than the reality. The page turn speed may be (very) slightly faster, but the change in the way that the image is refreshed makes it seem to come up faster, and I found it less bothersome than the old one (which, admittedly, didn't bother me much in the first place). The new display is noticeably brighter, and as others have commented, that makes a big difference in lower light situations. I suspect it will be easier to find good clip-on lights for the 505 than it has been for the 500. The most noticeable speed improvement on the display is in navigating menus, where it is markedly quicker.

The unit casing is, as nearly as I can tell, a seamless metal sleeve, with caps at either end. I didn't try to open it (which would be rude), but it looks to me like the thing would be a bear to open without knowing exactly what you were doing. I do like the feel of the casing, texture-wise, but having now seen a silver unit in person, I have to say I remain in "dark-blue" case camp. I do feel that the silver de-emphasizes the e-ink's contrast somewhat.

The stock cover is a nice faux leather (some sort of vinyl at a guess), and I particularly like the fact that it has no nape, inside our out, to pickup dust and such. The cover does fold all the way back, and makes for a nice holding feel. I found that by putting my index (pointing) finger between the two covers, I had a very good grip on the device (see the pix below). As a point of interest, though I've been a big proponent of the wrist lanyard for the 500 model, I didn't miss it on the 505. I think I'd be more likely to put a neck lanyard on it so that I had some protection against dropping, but I don't miss the wrist lanyard for general holding security.

I also found that holding the unit at the bottom, as I would a paperback, with the cover open and my thumb on the larger round page turn button (again see pix) was quite comfortable for either hand. I was actually mildly surprised to find this so. Also the right hand page buttons are a significant improvement over the previous incarnation. I never really had any issues with the original, but there is no question that the new ones are not only bigger and easier to press, they're better positioned, and the shape difference provides a nice tactile reference as to which is which.

The navigation pad is a big improvement over the jogstick -- no more worries about knocking the little stick off. The feel of it is crisp, and the larger ring makes controlling things easier.

Others have commented on the relocation of the power switch. I also found myself trying to turn it on and off on the side, but I adjusted quickly enough. I like the more aggressive texturing on the new power slide, which makes actuating it much easier, and I actually like the top-edge position. It allows the unit to be switched on and off with the cover closed, which is a nice thing. Also, the charge light is on the top now too, which means it can be checked without opening the cover. The new charge light may be a bit brighter as an added bonus.

Under the Settings menu, the Time and Date can now be set without the aid of a computer (pic below), which is nice as the 505 still loses it's time sense after a week or so without talking to a PC. Setting the time and date in this menu is quite straightforward, using the nav-pad and number buttons.

Speaking of the number buttons, I heartily approve of the new placement. Their new location makes selecting menu items with them much more intuitive. The only real drawback I see to the placement is that they're even more likely to get pressed with the cover closed. However, since they just bring up the direct-page-jump box, it's not that big an issue, and simply hitting the Menu button cancels that function.

The buttons in general have a lower profile than the 500 (except the aforementioned power-slide), and I find them overall less prone to accidental pressing. The recessed groove (pic below) for the right hand page turn buttons further protects them in this regard.

A friend commented that she felt that recessed groove might be bad about catching crumbs and other detritus. I've included a special "edge on" shot just for her of the two devices stacked together (505 on top) for a comparison of this point. I can say that after seeing them together I really don't think the new one is likely to be any worse here than the old one.

This review has been pretty positive thus far, but I did find one thing that I consider a negative. The battery life on the 505 unit I reviewed was not as good as I expected. It dropped 2 blocks in a week, (my 500 only dropped 1 in the same time), but after recharging it dropped 2 blocks in a bit more than a week, so this may be an artifact of the battery needing a cycle or three to get its footing, so that should be taken with a grain of salt.

As an overall conclusion, I find the 505 to be a good follow up of the 500, it's not a radical redesign, or a massive upgrade, but neither is this year's Dell all that big a jump over last year's Dell. This seems to me to be a generational progression, and I take that to be a good sign. It suggests to me that Sony is serious (as they've commented) about staying in this market. The improvements being slow suggests to me that they're not trying to make a big jump just to persuade a relatively small user pool will re-buy the new model, but rather they're aiming more to get new buyers to join the PRS club. If they had waited three years and come out with the 505, I'd be very concerned, but releasing the 505's improvements only one year after the 500, I take to be an encouraging sign of Sony's design attitude toward the product.

Will I upgrade? Probably not this year.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PRS505-01.JPG
Views:	2441
Size:	464.1 KB
ID:	6881   Click image for larger version

Name:	PRS505-02.JPG
Views:	1982
Size:	516.3 KB
ID:	6882   Click image for larger version

Name:	PRS505-03.JPG