View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #47
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Radio was supposed to make books obsolete. It didn't happen.

Television was supposed to make radio and books obsolete. It didn't happen.

Computers were supposed to make television, radio, and books obsolete. It didn't happen.

It is worth noting that that books, radio, and television have not become niche products either. They have changed with successive technologies, to be sure, but they are still fundamental parts of our society. I don't see why ebooks will fundamentally change this pattern.

(I also disagree with the LP analogy. An LP is just an electronic medium(1) for storing music, much like the 8-track, audio cassette, and CD. It is more analagous to the various ebook formats than print vs. electronic books.)

Footnote:
(1) Yes, I'm aware that LP's don't depend upon electronics. Yet most of the means of playing back LP's depended upon electronic amplifiers.
LPs vs CDs vs digital files on an SSD or HD are the perfect comparison to ebooks vs pbooks. New storage media and ways of consuming the same books replace old ones. TV vs radio&books those are different forms of entertainment. I don't see the connection. Another good example is printed books replacing hand written books, we have a similar game changer with ebooks. They are not perfect for all kinds of books yet, but they will be some day soon.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote