View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #27
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
When reading for pleasure, everyone finds their own speed that's comfortable for them. As so many other posters have pointed out, this isn't a competition!

There is a huge difference in reading for pleasure and reading for a technical, business, or other professional reason. If I'm reading a rather dull bestseller or thriller, I find my attention wandering and may either skip ahead or totally abandon the book. But if that bestseller has my full attention, I find myself reading faster and faster and faster; it's not uncommon for me to power through the average new full-length novel in about 2 hours. I also have a few dozen old favorites I re-read year after year, and find myself savoring certain passages which slow me down a bit.

Reading medical journals or reference texts are a different story. Here I'm reading for comprehension, and to build on my existing knowledge base. Although I can scan and process the words faster than many folks, the same volume of material does take me longer to get through than that of a popular novel.

I don't know of any tricks, because I don't use any. I can't help how fast I read -- I clearly remember as a third grader outpacing the teacher when the class assignment was to silently read a passage or chapter, and then getting in trouble for looking around because I was done long before everyone else --and it's not always a good thing. Do you have any idea how much it costs me to buy new books to feed my habit? :-)

Don't sweat your reading style. Reading is a joy, and as @piper so beautifully stated about books, that "The best are slowly savored, with the occasionally required fast food or quickie in between." I love that!
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote