View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Hmmmm, I think I'm on to something...

(For what's following, I'm using the word "page" for the page numbers displayed on the bottom of the reader, and the word "screen" for each page turn on my reader, to avoid confusion)

Scrolling up and down my book in ADE in frustration, I noticed that every screen had two or three little page numbers on the side. That's a lot!

On my reader, starting from the beginning and turning the pages, I get:

page 2-3 for the cover
page 4 for the title page
Then comes the first short story with pages 5-6, 6-9, 9-11, 11.
So one screen spans 2 pages, the next 3.5, the next 2.5, and then only one (half actually) because it's end of chapter.
Another short story is so small it is actually only one paragraph, and is a little more than half a screen (small font). This is on pages 131-132.

So what I think is, this all has something to do with the way adobe calculates pages. My ebook is a collection of 32 short stories spanning 280 pages, and while some of them are normal short story length, some can be as short as a paragraph or half a page. I have every story in its own xtml, and most of them don't reach 10kb of size. I believe this results (in a way I don't quite understand) in pages of shorter length than usual, so that each screen displays 2-3 pages by default. That would explain my cover being 2-3 (though I would expect it to be 1-3 actually) and it would mean that there isn't much I can do about it.

Do you think I have come to the right conclusion? Has anyone had the same experience? I would guess that, if I am correct, poetry collections with small poems could have exactly the same behaviour.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote