View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #39
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
While I can't answer that question, I still feel the iPad Mini is overpriced for what you get. This November I will be able to get a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 or a Nook HD+ with 16GB storage for less than the price of the iPad Mini. In each case I will not only get a larger screen (8.9" for Kindle, 9.0" for Nook, against 7.9" for Apple), but I will also get significantly better resolution, as both alternatives have 1920x1200 panels against 1024x768.

As someone who will be spending all my time with a tablet looking at the screen, that resolution deficit is almost impossible to make up at even the same price as the two competitors I mentioned, let alone at a higher price.

For me, the screen is the single most important feature of a tablet, and Amazon and BN have raised the bar to the point where 1024x768 is simply not worth consideration at anything over $200. Even at $200 it's behind the curve with Google, Amazon and BN all offering higher resolutions on 7" screens.
As one of the only people in this thread actually considering buying the mini, I'll respond to your post.

I'm sure you'll be very happy with a Fire or a Nook, it's great that you can buy one for the same or less than the mini. I can't. Buy one, I mean. I'm not in the US.

I could buy a Samsung or Google tablet. But I've got an Apple computer and an iPod Touch, so staying with the Apple ecosystem is a huge plus, no need to rebuy apps or relearn an operating system. I'm also not a spec chaser, nor do I need the newest thing.

Sure, I'd like a higher resolution screen. But the same pixels as last year's iPad on a smaller screen will be pretty terrific. And it will run all the iPad apps. Right out of the box. No waiting for developers to optimize anything.

Anyway, the form factor is what I'm after, smaller and lighter than an iPad. Maybe there aren't many people looking for that, we'll find out.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote