View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 04:50 AM   #16
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Remember that the viewer has the worst estimation of pages being horribly inaccurate as it uses the "adobe standard" of 1024 characters per page if I remember what user_none said correctly. So being 50% of that value is certainly not unusual and far more closer to the printed edition in most cases.

The whole intent of this plugin is an at a glance estiate in your view, so you can see a 1500 vs 750 vs 300 vs 20 page type of comparison. That the 1500 might actually be 1800 and 300 is really 200 in print isn't the relevant issue. I changed the ePub algorithm so that you would hopefully get roughly consistent results between mobi and ePub formats in case your library contains a mixture of not having one or the other.

The only way to get real world printed page values is to read them off a web page like in a metadata source plugin. I would like to do this one day but it requires non trivial changes to the metadata api in calibre which are more than I can take on right now.

Btw I know this plugin will throw an error if you try to count for a drm protected book. So use quality check to exclude those.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote