View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 03:14 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Do book publishers care? Will they open up and sell us their books as ebooks or will they continue to be so concerned over possible lost income that they keep us all in the dark ages?
Those are excellent questions, vivaldirules, and they will, indeed, make a big difference in the future.

Some things I think will have an effect on the decisions the individual pubs make (and this is by no means a complete list!) are:

They've been watching RIAA get their head's handed to them, and the general disintegration of the various DRM schemes in the music industry -- I can only hope they draw intelligent conclusions from those shows.

They aren't making any money at all on out of print backlist titles at the moment.

Amazon, Sony, and now Borders are about to start seriously pestering them to make this jump, as all three of those have a ... significant vested interest in the release of more e-titles. I suspect those three are both motivated, and in pretty good positions to be ... persuasive.

Whether any of that amounts to a hill of beans to the individual pubs is another matter altogether, of course.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote