View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 04:50 AM   #1
Hoojamaflip
Hoojamaflip knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Hoojamaflip knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Hoojamaflip knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Hoojamaflip knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Hoojamaflip knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Hoojamaflip knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Hoojamaflip knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Hoojamaflip knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Hoojamaflip knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Hoojamaflip knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Hoojamaflip knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Pocketbook 840 Inkpad
DPT-RP1 EULA Concerns

Hi, I’m getting tempted by the RP1. Stuff like having to use the App to transfer files (at the margin) and the absence of SD card based capacity expansion (mainly this) are irritants but I think they won’t be deal breakers.

What might be though was this … Amazon.com’s “most helpful” negative review slams the EULA (End User License Agreement) …
“disallowing opt out for data collection and providing themselves with permission to collect data not just from the Digital Paper itself but also from any device connected to the Digital Paper. The Digital Paper requires connection to a PC to operate (only way to load documents into the DP), meaning that Sony has effectively given itself permission to mine unspecified data from my PC and use it without any real restrictions, including expressly permitting themselves to share my data with unspecified third parties.”

I don’t really like the idea of e-readers themselves giving data (I maybe want to get updates from them but even those could really be sideloaded or done via the computer) but the idea of the company collecting (mining?) data from your PC, as presented here seems scary in potential scope.

Is there any indication of what it would be collecting? Could it just be checking on the performance of the device, collecting anonymous data for optimising and resolving bugs etc or is it (and has it not ruled out) collecting info on what I read and store and sell (or “lose”) such info or even far beyond as implied in the review …

On the one hand I feel like a conspiracy-nut and really want a fast, large screen (e-ink), PDF reader and I think this might be it. On the other the review spooked me hugely that I wouldn’t be able to control what data the company collects from my PC.

Does anyone have any (informed?) opinions? Is what Sony is doing normal? Is the review dealing in hyperbole? Are Sony giving themselves “permission to mine unspecified data” and if so any ideas what that might mean in practice? Any purchasers had any concerns?

Sorry for the rambling. Thanks for any help etc in advance.
Hoojamaflip is offline   Reply With Quote