View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #43
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I'm not so sure that there are really 2 different camps divided as suggested. For example, I want a 9-inch reader but I'm definitely not in the academic camp. I want the larger screen so I can subscribe to my newspapers and magazines' electronic versions -- not RSS feeds but essentially duplicates of the print version -- and so I can more easily read nonfiction that incoporates a lot of images (I'm so tired of not being able to read, for example, an author's map or of being able to see the detail in a Ming vase photograph).

I do not consider 9 inches too large for fiction reading. Granted, at 9 inches the device would be more cumbersome to transport than my 6-inch Sony, if ease of transportation was my #1 concern, I would look at a 5-inch or smaller device.
I see people on Transit reading Hard bound books all the time.

That would be equal to a stack of 3 @ 9" screen e-readers.
There are "Rugged" laptops and Cell phones. That feature doubles to triples the weight.
Large touchscreens more than doubles the cost of the display (LCD) and add an exponential malfunction level

Magazines and Newspapers are still being presented in the "Print" configuration".
Go visit some TV news Web pages. They are designed for a computer screen (landscape).
When the Web first got started, COLOR 15" monitors were the "current standard", there were still many users with 12"-14", Some even Mono-chrome.
Today, 20" Widescreen.
Tomorrow. 3-D?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote