View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #48
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
There is also a big difference for people who are paranoid (or not?) about people legally accessing your data, at least in the US. Data on your own PC in your own home is protected by your fourth amendment rights, and requires a warrant to access. Data stored by an online provider is not, and requires only a subpoena, with a lower standard of proof required.
If you are worried about your data, encrypt it.
To get the key from you the Govt would require the utmost authority.

My secret, secret and even more secret stuff has quite a lot of encryption.
But on the other hand, if the Govt brings me that legal paper and I have checked with my lawyer to be sure it is valid, then sure here is the key.

And by the way many of the services that store your data along with a starting amount of free storage will encrypt it or let you provide the key.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote