View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I believe that Sony have said that Reader sales are above expectations.
Well, Harry, it's nice that you are such a booster, but I can't be as optimistic after the experience I had.

Years ago I bought a Rocket (then RCA) eBook, which was wonderful. Actually had many exceptional features that the Reader does not. Books could be purchased and downloaded from amazon.com, Barnes & Noble and other sources. It was easy to load your own documents in it.

Anyway, it was later taken over by Gemstar, the British corporation that publishes "TV Guide."

In all those years, not one single advertisement or promotion for the eBook ever appeared. Just like the Reader, every time I read it in public, people were curious and then enthralled and wanted to know where to buy it.

Had it been advertised, I am certain sales would have boomed, but eventually Gemstar gave notice that they would no longer support it, and after a period of time, no more books would be available for it.

I bought two eBooks, and still use them now and then, especially when I want backlighting (in bed, for example), and it is a cinch to load PG books. And, one can pick ANY font and type size that is on the computer for any content.

To me, Sony's seemingly lack of interest in advertising or promoting the Reader gives me a horrible feeling that they will eventually do the same as Gemstar.

Where did you read that Sony ever said sales were above expectations? In fact, where did you ever read anything a'tall that Sony has published to the general public about the Reader once it was released?

Nothing they've done seems that they are very interested it. The dumping of 1K devices to TigerDirect actually makes it seem more like they are getting ready to drop the whole thing.

I pray I'm wrong, but once bitten...

Last edited by KlondikeGeoff; 07-05-2007 at 06:21 PM.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote