View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 10:17 AM   #33
waldorfpatriot
waldorfpatriot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
epubs: convert and send to kindle in one click

Preamble
I have a huge library of digital content in a software called "digitale bibliothek" by directmedia. In version 5 you can export to epub. That is great, so I can finally read the books on my kindle. Unfortunately getting an epub to kindle is a complicated business: open calibre, import the book, click send to kindle, wait for calibre to convert the document, close calibre again. If I'm working and just want to remember to read something later I need something that is working with one click: here is how I solved it.

Requirements
Workflow
All you need to do, to get your epub to your kindle is put the file in a specific folder on your mac. A mac os x automation folder action automatically scans the folder, grabs the epub files and gives them to calibre to convert to the kindle friendly format mobi. After converting, automator puts the mobi file in a dropbox folder called send2kindle. The dropbox folder is scanned by if that than that, which sends the file to your @free.kindle.com address.

customize the folder action

(if the picture is broken, try looking here)

There are two adjustments you have to make:
  1. the folder, in which you put the files. in my case it is "lesestoff"
  2. the other is the dropbox folder in which the script puts the mobi files. in my case it is "send2kindle"

The first adjustment you do by clicking in the right corner under the play button. Here you chose the folder to be scanned.

The next three steps in the workflow are
  1. show folder content
  2. filter the content for epub files
  3. run shell script that gives the epub files to calibre to convert them to mobi, move the converted files to the dropbox folder and remove the original epub

Code:
while read LINE
do
 /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/ebook-convert "$LINE" "${LINE/.*/}.mobi"
mv "${LINE/.*/}.mobi" ~/Dropbox/[your_folder_name]
rm "$LINE"

Last edited by waldorfpatriot; 03-12-2015 at 10:58 AM.
waldorfpatriot is offline   Reply With Quote