View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #9
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But what really makes these any better then ePub?
You said it, I didn't.

However, since you did: The fact that its semantic mark-up instead of hodge-podge HTML aimed at getting finicky display software to cooperate makes it better... at preserving semantic and formatting information in a given text.

In fact, in another thread, I have explicitly stated that ePub is probably the most ideal format for archiving by the non-professional-Librarian, given all considerations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Epub isn't XML; it has XML as one of its parts. But it also has HTML tags. A strict XML file shouldn't have anything other than XML tags (I think)*.

* Could someone correct me if I'm wrong?
You're not wrong. An XML file usually is about specifying (largely, or entirely semantic) information... whereas HTML is also significantly about cajoling a myriad not 100% compatible devices and software into accidentally doing the right thing against all odds.

As a result, despite the existence of the heavenly ideal of sensibly formatted and standard-compliant HTML markup, the average document is going to be somewhat to moderately messy and difficult or (over multiple documents created by different authors) impossible to automatically parse/convert in a definitively correct way (unlike a well defined semantic XML format like this).

- Ahi

Ps.: Any suggestions, JSWolf, on how to improve my ugly duckling of an ePub file of The Art of War (posted in another thread)? I find the lack of interest therein--particularly in light of the rather greater positive attention the PDFs received--to be odd given the apparent enthusiasm about ePub on this forum. Particularly since I spent more time making the single (and, on my Sony PRS-505, not particularly great looking) ePub, than I did producing the 8 considerably more professional looking custom PDFs.
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote