View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #120
ereszet
Zealot
ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 Archos 704 wifi
Sliding the cradle

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalomania View Post
A little over a year ago I built my own V cradle based on a picture of the Atiz BookDrive DIY. It does not look as nice as the one ereszet built, but the principle is identical. I have images of the cradle and building instructions in a thread at my website: http://roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?t=1232 I actually posted about my book cradle starting on page 5 of the thread.

The important innovation of my cradle is a horizontally sliding base that moves the book every turn of the page to maintain the exact same distance from camera lens to paper surface.
Your experience and experiments have been very similar to mine. I am quite satisfied with the results I get and document/book scanning has been a routine thing for me for more than a few years now.

I have visited your thread at the site you indicated and looked at the sliding base photos but I cannot understand how the base moves the book at every turn of the page. I guess how Atiz BookDrive does it (cradle moves horizontally while the transparent cover moves only vertically) but I cannot see any cover mechanism in your solution.

As for my experience, I am using PSRemote program to control the operation of my camera from my laptop, so I can see the picture in advance on the screen and I can correct the position of the cradle a few millimiters every 20 or so book pages scanned (no sliding mechanism required).
ereszet is offline   Reply With Quote